Friday, July 16, 2010

Evan is two months old!

I can't believe how quickly these two months have gone! Everyone - people with kids and also those without - said this would happen. ("It goes by so fast!") When we're out people comment about the tiny baby in the stroller. I want to say, "No, he's big! He's packing on the ounces! And just look at that head control!" At his two month check-up Evan weighed in at 12 lbs 8 oz, having gained about 1.5 oz per day since we left the hospital. A healthy rate of change indeed. And now he's 24 inches long, a 20% increase from when he was born. This puts him in the 64th percentile for weight and the 81st for length.

With all the growth it's no wonder he doesn't fit into his newborn clothes anymore. It was sad when the Onesies got difficult to snap, sometimes making him frown when I stubbornly tried to squeeze him in one last time. One by one they were relegated to the Newborn pile in the corner of his room. His 0 - 3 month clothes systematically got moved up to the top dresser drawers, becoming part of the pool that we draw from several times a day. More than once I whispered to him, "Don't grow up too fast Evan." I took him shopping at Gymboree and Baby Gap, and while I was driving home I started to laugh a bit. In the process of wanting him to stay small I bought clothes that make him look like a teenager.


The upside to Evan getting older is that he's starting to interact with us more. He smiles a lot these days, and now there's no question that the smiles are intentional. He smiles most often after eating and the big ones show his dimples, one on each cheek.

He also makes a lot of cool sounds, like he's trying to talk to us. If you catch him in the right mood you can carry on a conversation. It usually goes something like this:

Me: "Hi Evan! How was your day?"
[pause]
Evan: "Ghhhh"
Me: "Did you enjoy our walk?"
[pause]
Evan: "Ghhhh"
Me: "Do you like your new jean shorts?"
[pause]
Evan: "Ghhhh"

... and on it goes in this fashion. I did this with Evan for about a week before he did it with anyone else. It was always just me and him, no witnesses. I tried telling Jeff about it, but like Big Bird and his friend Snuffleupagus I was the only one privy. Now he makes these noises for anyone.

Evan also tries to suck his thumb, with varying success. His technique seems to be modeled after a hockey goalie mask.


This was taken last weekend. Evan was wearing the third outfit of the day. I was ready to throw him in the washing machine with the sheets!


The best part of all is that he's sleeping through the night now, more or less. He usually falls asleep around 11 PM and wakes up to eat around 6:30 AM. This is a little earlier than we would normally get up, but I'm not complaining!

1 comment:

  1. Just got your announcement today! So glad you found us! I had heard you'd gotten married, but I didn't know you were expecting. He is adorable! I think I can remember his birthday, since it is the day after mine! Welcome to motherhood, It's the best!

    Hugs,
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete